How to read Thai Postmark date ?

New stamp issue from the World

How to read Thai Postmark date ?

Postby rakstampthai » 10 Apr 2009 19:49

If you receive the above postcard from Thai collector , How to read Thai postmark date ?

At Thailand we used Buddhist calendar so why you find all Thai postmark date is B.E , then the above Postcard send out from Mobile Post Office on date 14.01.2009 .The year is counted from the Buddhist Era (B.E.), which is 543 years earlier than the Christian Era (A.D.). For example, A.D. 2008 is equivalent to 2551 B.E. The era is based on the passing away (Parinibbana) of Gautama Buddha, which is dated to 543 BC by the Thai (although some sources state that Buddha died in 483 BC).

But you also find A.D. postmark date from Thailand but have a bit such as Suvannaphumi International Airport Mail Center used A.D. postmark date, because this mail center must exhcange mail bags with overseas both inbound and outbound or at Wan The Wawet Postoffice. At my know in Thailand not over 10 post offices used A.D. Postmark date.

rakstampthai

Re: How to read Thai Postmark date ?

Postby yechohsan » 12 Apr 2009 05:54

Thanks for the useful information.
Maximaphily - A new wave in Philately . Maximum cards of today, collectibles of tommorrow.
Visit my world on Maximaphily - http://mccraze.blogspot.com
yechohsan

Postby smspenang » 28 May 2009 19:07

This is an eye opener. Just checked my Thai postcards, unfortunately most postmarks are not clear.

Below is the postcard of the new airport and I sent the postcard to myself from there in Sept 2008. It uses the Buddhist year "51" instead of "08"

Larger size: postmark not clear

smspenang

Postby rakstampthai » 29 Aug 2009 16:45

Hi,

Thank you for your below postcard , this postcard sent out from Suvannaphumi International Airport Postoffice which use B.E Postmark date

The A.D postmark date have serves you at Suvannaphumi International Airport Mail Center

If you want to collect Thai Postmark date 09.09.09 please read at
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=759

smspenang wrote:This is an eye opener. Just checked my Thai postcards, unfortunately most postmarks are not clear.

Below is the postcard of the new airport and I sent the postcard to myself from there in Sept 2008. It uses the Buddhist year "51" instead of "08"

Larger size: postmark not clear

rakstampthai

Return to World New Stamp issue