Greetings from Orion

Say Hi to everybody

Greetings from Orion

Postby orion » 03 Jul 2012 04:08

I'm Orion from Shah Alam

I have just re-started my stamp collecting hobby. Did it when I was a kid and I had a rather good collection of used and mint stamps from all over the world.

Unfortunately, when I was away in university (in the late 1980s), termites chewed up my collection. I was so heart broken, I gave up the hobby. And now, close to 20 years later, I stumbled upon the remnants of my collection while doing some "spring cleaning". They were all from the "old collection" stored in a 1970s Cadbury chocolate metal box, something that the termites couldn't chew thru! This "discovery" has since re-ignited my passion for stamps.

Stamp collecting in the age of Internet and WWW has put a totally different perspective to this hobby. Back then my community was confined to neighbors and school mates. Now, we can reach the whole globe and we have electornic markets like eBay, this really opens up a whole new dimension (or universe!) to stamp collecting.

So I am here now, trying to re-learn stamp collecting and hope to experience the whole new dimension thru this board. I really want to know how to collect and properly manage my collection e.g. using the proper tools and storage/handling of stamps i.e. using archival quality equipment where possible, know what to use so that stamps can be preserved in the best possible condition. Now that I am working, I have necessary funds to invest in this hobby and I want to do it right.

I am especially keen on old Malayan, pre-war, pre-independence stamps. I have interest in other Commonwealth nation stamps as well, I like to collect stamps of countries that do not exist anymore.

Work wise, I am currently leading an IT department. I used to work for IBM as a Senior IT Architect.

I do look forward to contributing to this community.

P.S. Besides stamps I am also keen on bank notes, gold/silver coins and astronomy. And yes, I am also a sci-fi fan, I watch Star Trek and read Michio Kaku & Malcolm Gladwell. In fact I like Star Trek more than Star Wars i.e. I'm just another one of your garden variety geek.
"Resistance is futile".
Interests : Stamps, bank notes, astronomy, sci-fi
Stamps : Pre-1960 Malaya stamps, North Borneo and Sarawak.
orion

Re: Greetings from Orion

Postby stampheart » 03 Jul 2012 13:15

Orion, welcome to our PSM Forum.
I can relate to your experience. I was actively collecting FDCs in the 80s and then took a long leave of absence from the hobby, partly due to lack of funds
and partly due to pursuit of career. I am now retired but still on contract and with more funds at my disposal now, I guess like you, I can start to take up
the hobby more seriously.

The Forum is a nice place to start but since you stay in Shah Alam (I am from Klang), it may be a good idea to catch up with the more regulars at the
Sentul Club house meetings held on Tuesday evenings and the AmCorp Mall meetings (held on Saturdays after 2.30 p.m. - you know how Malaysian time goes).
These are informal meetings where a bunch of regulars meet up to talk about the latest going-ons in the Malaysian stamp world. Many of the regulars also collect
coins and notes.

Why not join the PSM (not this PSM forum) and get access to our bulletins, journals and the opportunity to bid at our monthly auctions (held at the club house in Sentul).
We also have stamp fairs every 3 months held at the PJ Community Library and that is a good source of the stamps that you are looking for.

Meanwhile happy collecting.
stampheart

Postby orion » 03 Jul 2012 15:46

Thanks for the kind message.

I was at Amcorp mall last Saturday afternoon at about 4pm.

Yes, I have sent in my cheque and application form to PSM about 10 days ago.

I have yet to visit the Sentul Clun House - appreciate it if you can let me know the exact address.

I have been making my rounds at stamp dealers around KL. I've visited all except for the one in Pudu; been building up my accessories, just got hold of a dry cabinet to store the stamps and bank notes. I have been bidding at eBid and eBay as well. Bought my first full set of stamps for the QE II 1953 Coronation set 2 weeks ago.

I'm planning to go back to Penang next month and will be dropping by dealers' place in Ipoh as well.

I have this regular place that I hang out and meet people at Kota Kemuning, if you are OK, we can meet there also. I met up with a guy in Kota Kemuning with a whole truck load of FDCs he wants to sell. PM me if you'd like to meet up.
"Resistance is futile".
Interests : Stamps, bank notes, astronomy, sci-fi
Stamps : Pre-1960 Malaya stamps, North Borneo and Sarawak.
orion

Postby stampheart » 04 Jul 2012 05:42

In case you have not visited our main web site,
this link has some information about the Club House address.
You should be able to google it easily.

http://www.psmonline.org/soc_fr.htm

Take it that you are from Penang, which is also my home town.
Hope to meet up with you at one of the AmCorp Mall meetings though
I dont' go there every Saturday (not this Saturday anyway because of a prior family arrangement)

May take you up on your Kota Kemuning offer but am not so much into FDCs.
stampheart

Postby snowvolcano » 10 Jul 2012 11:37

Hi Orion,

If you don't mind, we can go out yam cha and talk about stamps/fdc when you back to Penang.

I currently stay in PG as well. PM me if you yam cha ...

Cheer...

Thanks..
snowvolcano

Return to Say Hello!