Royal wedding of Prince William to Ms Catherine Middleton

New stamp issue from the World

Re: Royal wedding of Prince William to Ms Catherine Middleto

Postby stampheart » 24 May 2011 10:39

Having seen the amount of material that was issued for Prince Charles & Princess Diana and the other members of the royal family, I've lost interest in collecting these stamps relating to the marriages of the royal family in the UK.
However, there is probably a fair following of collectors for this material. Then of course to each his own - collect what interests you
stampheart

Postby adibayob » 24 May 2011 16:22

stampheart wrote:Having seen the amount of material that was issued for Prince Charles & Princess Diana and the other members of the royal family, I've lost interest in collecting these stamps relating to the marriages of the royal family in the UK.
However, there is probably a fair following of collectors for this material. Then of course to each his own - collect what interests you

Yes sir, I agree with your opinion.

So, the only related issue for this Royal Wedding that makes me interested in it (due to its "bizzare design/embarrassing/slightly strange"), is the stamps from Pacific Island of Niue. I've some set of that stamps, MS as well as its FDCs.

Some of them have slightly misperforate to left/right. Errr... luckily, I got an MS that has a small flaw dot on it... and it is just for my personal collection.

Any further comment about this Niue version is welcome here...
adibayob

Postby cwwong » 24 May 2011 22:16

stampheart wrote:Having seen the amount of material that was issued for Prince Charles & Princess Diana and the other members of the royal family, I've lost interest in collecting these stamps relating to the marriages of the royal family in the UK.

From the vendor's point of view, I have to say that the British Royal family commands a BIG following among Malaysian collectors. Every one of them in this order - the late Princess Diana (by far the most popular), QE2 and even the late Queen Mother. So far, not much demand for Prince William stamps - quite a number have been issued well before his wedding. Some collectors collect ALL the Royal family, some just one or the other. Contrary to what most people believe, the demand is for those stamps that are NOT omnibus, including those African/ex-Russian countries productions. Diana is a thematic collection in her own right.
Last edited by cwwong on 25 May 2011 08:54, edited 2 times in total.
cwwong

Postby cwwong » 25 May 2011 00:13

adibayob wrote:So, the only related issue for this Royal Wedding that makes me interested in it (due to its "bizzare design/embarrassing/slightly strange"), is the stamps from Pacific Island of Niue.
Any further comment about this Niue version is welcome here...

Yes, the Niue stamps are the ones much publicized with the couple on either side of the vertical perforation in the setenant set. Since the Queen approved it, I think the royal family do not believe in the "pantangs". After all, many of their members ended up divorced from their partners, anyway. These stamps, MS and FDCs are still available thru NZ Post online as at today. I was told that they produced quite a lot .

I counted 6 countries that issued the Wedding Stamps/MS - GB, Canada, Australia, NZ, Niue and Mali. Solomon Island has it in its schedule but I did not see any stamps from this Island. However, if you go to the internet, you will find many many countries producing "Engagement" stamps/MS/sheetlets. I guess one requires Buckingham Palace approval, the other does not.

CANCELLATION NOTE: Note the cancel, tying BOTH the stamps in the MS with the cover. An excellent design allowing for easy and proper cancellation of the MS.
cwwong

Postby adibayob » 26 May 2011 16:40

Another thing that 'strange' to me, why they did perforation of MS in that way. Even the title itself (Royal Wedding) is like 'being torn apart'!!
adibayob

Postby cwwong » 26 May 2011 22:25

adibayob wrote:Another thing that 'strange' to me, why they did perforation of MS in that way. Even the title itself (Royal Wedding) is like 'being torn apart'!!

This is quite common, I have seen many many MS perforated this way. No problem for those who do not have the "pantangs".
cwwong

Postby lionheart » 27 May 2011 02:06

adibayob wrote:Another thing that 'strange' to me, why they did perforation of MS in that way. Even the title itself (Royal Wedding) is like 'being torn apart'!!

I suppose this is to make it easier to seperate the stamps from the sheet. I remember that Indonesian m/s used to be issued in this manner as well to make it easier to users to use stamps within the m/s.
lionheart

Previous

Return to World New Stamp issue