20sen 2007/1

Bird definitive stamp studies

Re: 20sen 2007/1

Postby kkkhor » 16 Apr 2009 05:09

alexquek wrote:By the way, kkkhor, I am very happy to see that you have uploaded your avatar also! You have taken the trouble, energy and time to do it! It shows your support for this forum :!:

Alex, nice to see your's and other's avatar too. :lol:
kkkhor

Postby mac » 16 Apr 2009 14:09

At the risk of being informed of the fact I know nothing of stamps etc., I will try and assist with this query. I am afraid, once again, this is not an error, but is a variety. It is not worth much more than normal. What has happened is that when the sheet of stamps was being perforated, the sheet was fed a little short for the last strike of the comb perforator. This resulted in a narrower stamp column than normal. This happened all the time with the Agro values and is probably caused by wear on the perforating machine.

For those puzzled by the above, a comb perforator has a perforating head that looks a bit like a comb when seen from the side, these being the pins that make the holes. Another way of looking at it is as a series of E's. The comb perforates one column of stamps on the left and all the rows top and bottom for that column. The sheet then feeds through the perforator an exact distance, the width of one stamp, and the comb again does its business, closing the E's of the last strike. This continues until the complete sheet is perforated, including the margin. It is the last strike that generally goes wrong, as there is not much sheet left to 'grab' and move. I hope this makes sense! :geek:
mac

Postby alexquek » 16 Apr 2009 14:12

kkkhor, I got good news for you! I went to one of the post office in Puchong and bought 1 whole sheet of the 20 cent bird stamps. And you know what? There was no error at all! Everything was perfect! So this means that your error sheet could be the only one in Malaysia :P !

I still buy the whole sheet to tell the world that I can't get the error stamp like yours :D ! Nolah! Just kidding! I purposely buy because I want to keep a copy for my collection and also I noticed that the number of 20 cent stamp is not much as it is not commonly bought by the public. That post office have only 1 full sheet and some loose ones!

But be warned! I will still be going out for hunting :mrgreen: !
Best regards
alexquek
alexquek

Postby alexquek » 16 Apr 2009 14:23

mac wrote:I hope this makes sense! :geek:

Yes mac, it makes sense! Thank you for your explanation effort here! You explained until it seems that you had handled or work on the perforating machine before :P !

Yes, like you, I think it should be called a variety. But how to explain that it was an error made by the perforating machine?
Best regards
alexquek
alexquek

Postby cmsau » 16 Apr 2009 14:34

Mr Mac,

by mac » 16 Apr 2009 14:09

At the risk of being informed of the fact I know nothing of stamps etc., .....

Well i think you are very helpful in clearing the air regardings all the "error" the last time. Well don't let any particular member from hindering you from sharing knowledge on philately here!!! I find it very useful and informative :mrgreen:

Regards,

Johnson
cmsau

Postby mac » 16 Apr 2009 14:40

Thanks Johnson, I will do my best. :D
mac

Postby cmsau » 16 Apr 2009 14:46

Well from hearing what Mr Mac had said, I think the right hand margin perfs is prone to such problem (personal opinion). I have seen the 30sen with the perforation moving inwards like kkkhor's at the Stamp Week fair at Times Square. The example I saw is, if the margin was removed the "en" of sen would be not appearing on the stamp leaving that particular column of stamp smaller.
cmsau

Previous

Return to Malaysia Bird definitives