A thread on monthly auction

Have your suggestions to improve on the forum board

Re: A thread on monthly auction

Postby kennywkt » 30 Mar 2009 04:18

cwwong wrote:
kennywkt wrote: I refer to those not willing to contribute their experience by posting here rather than hiding behind the forum. I didn't see many senior members of PSM contribute their posting here. Compare to StampBoards, the members there quite generous to point out their views and opinions in various area of collecting stamps even those don't know to use the computer, they learned it step by step! Compare to the people here, just hiding behind the computer because afraid people will laugh on them.

I only agree with you on those PSM members who do not come into the forum because they do not want to contribute.

Ye had already mentioned that many senior members are not comfortable with the pc, so to criticize those that are not on the internet because they do not know how to use the pc is grossly unfair. That is their choice. You cannot force people to go to the internet. It doesn't mean that they are less willing to help collectors. There are many senior members who are really very helpful, even I learn from them. We meet during new issues, we meet during auctions and stampfairs, tea tarik cafes and everywhereelse. The internet is only one way of acquiring knowledge, it is by no means the only way.

Yes, I agree that they are very helpful, but only limited to a group of members or the members those knowing them or the members those close to them, but their knowledges never reach to a huge group of nationwide or worldwide collectors. Yet, I don't see their knowledge and experience will reach to general collectors like me unless I join up as paid membership, right?
ImageImage
kennywkt

Postby kcmak » 30 Mar 2009 14:12

There are 6 exco members who are writing in this forum, but it doesn't means that the other do not want to contribute. Some, like me, are not confortable in putting my thought in words. Let have a face to face discussion, than we can learn from each other. Let not use this forum to compare with other. Each have their own way.
kcmak

Postby kennywkt » 30 Mar 2009 14:49

Well, ok, this is only my thought and point of view, and I am not offending those don't want to share their thought, just because I amaze that why those 50's until 80's in age on StampBoards and Myphilately so much keen to use internet/forum to share their thought, but why the people here so much resist to do so? Well, I think I can only concluded that we are in different cultures.
ImageImage
kennywkt

Postby stampheart » 31 Mar 2009 02:48

Generally those who are more computer savvy will be comfortable with posting images and those who are more comfortable with expressing themselves in the written form will do so. There are many who are in the process of learning how to post images, let alone avatars and they are struggling. I guess this is where those who can do these on the forum, can get the permission of others who have expressed themselves orally and who may have materials which someone else can help to scan for them. These can then be put on the forum. Until such time, we will have to allow time for this to evolve and be patient. I know there are a lot of senior collectors who have a lot to share but are not able to do it on the forum because they are not computer savvy and some are taking the trouble to learn how to do posting of images on the forum. Let us give them time and we will be rewarded with the knowledge they will then be able to share with us.

Cheers
Andrew
stampheart

Postby alexquek » 01 Apr 2009 13:31

I think besides all mentioned above, the other most important reason could be the time factor. Everybody is busy working or earning a living! Time is never enough for most of us. I for one has to admit that I have limited time, but I still try very hard to find time to contribute to this forum as I want to help ensure the momentum is either maintained or increased further.

Some people are IT savvy, but don't have time. While we have people who have time, but they are not computer literate!
Best regards
alexquek
alexquek

Postby yechohsan » 01 Apr 2009 20:47

alexquek wrote:I think besides all mentioned above, the other most important reason could be the time factor. Everybody is busy working or earning a living! Time is never enough for most of us. I for one has to admit that I have limited time, but I still try very hard to find time to contribute to this forum as I want to help ensure the momentum is either maintained or increased further.

Some people are IT savvy, but don't have time. While we have people who have time, but they are not computer literate!

Agreed.
Maximaphily - A new wave in Philately . Maximum cards of today, collectibles of tommorrow.
Visit my world on Maximaphily - http://mccraze.blogspot.com
yechohsan

Previous

Return to Suggestions to the Forum Board